Well I don't know if I invented it or not. I bet if you googled the ingredients a recipe already exists but since I created it with random ingredients in my kitchen I am going to claim ownership of it...at least on this blog anyway!
Rudy LOVED this soup. We are big soup people and I am always on the hunt for good recipes. I immediately wrote this down so I could make it again. I have made it twice now and it has been great both times.
I am going to call it Santa Fe Chicken and Barley Soup. Because I bet people in Santa Fe eat soups like this all the time. :)
Santa Fe Chicken and Barley Soup
- 1 can tomatoes and chilies
- 1 can navy beans
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 6 cups chicken broth (vegetable if you are vegan or vegetarian) or 6 cups water and 3 chicken bouillon cubes.
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon of cumin
- 1/3 cup quick cooking barley
- 1 cup cooked chicken (leave out if your are vegan or vegetarian)